[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenGL/3D application

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 12:52:37 UTC 2016

À ven. juil. 8 09:53:14 2016 GMT+0200, Nikola M a écrit :
> On 07/ 8/16 01:00 AM, bentahyr at chez.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is anyone using current Hipster with 3D/OpenGL software whether it is for data visualisation or any other purposes. The only 3D application I have working in Hipster is Firefox running WebGL demos.
> > I sense something fishy in the Mesa/OpenGL stack on Hipster but I cannot find any standard I could use to benchmark the stack.
> I am on Intel 945 laptop and I could only start glxgears to confirm
> OpenGL is workign with Mesa and it gives frame rates when running to
> sort of measure speed.
>
> Couldn't start WebGL the other day from Firefox few days ago, did you
> make it and from what page have you tested it?
> I think that Firefox shipped with hipster simply does not support WebGL,
> actually Alp confirmed it the other day.

It is incorrect.
You can read the documentation: WebGL is on Firefox only activated for supported pairs of Operating Systems / Hardware.
You need to force the configuration otherwise.
Performance is decent with my Quadro FX3800.

> On the Nvidia side, from reorting date onwards, I have very large CPU
> usage, 30-50% on one core, doing nothing and displayed in GNOME System
> monitor panel, just by logging in on Oi hipster, it all started with
> mesa update months ago. prstat does not show that cpu usage.
>
> userland-incorporation after I have large cpu usage is:
> userland-incorporation at 0.5.11,5.11-2016.0.0.6240:20160516T121447Z
>
> mesa: update to 11.2.2
> http://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/commit/86cbae9ad08a7214a42a4f42ffe5a5288a2a1f55
>
> I reported it on May 18th on #oi-dev IRC channel, without making bug
> report not to make a fuss,
> but I think this is a problem for more people when mesa update results
> in large cpu usage, and it's even more strange is that prstat nor top
> show nothing, just System load monitor. It happens only on Nvidia
> graphics machine.

If you have data to support it, please file a bug.
I do not see this behaviour on my machines with Nvidia graphics so that would interesting to understand the difference.

I have seen a performance change with the last Nvidia driver update but I am still able to do 3d visualisation.

Thanks for sailing Jolla :)