[OpenIndiana-discuss] [off-topic] Samsung acquires Joyant

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 03:20:09 UTC 2016

On 07/10/16 08:53 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> I'm also subscribed to the Joyant SmartOS list, although I don't keep
> up with it as well as I do the OpenIndiana one.
>
> Catching up on post, I find that Samsung is acquiring Joyant, makers
> of the SmartOS distro, among many other neat things.
>
> https://www.joyent.com/blog/samsung-acquires-joyent
>
> This apparently happened, or minimally, kicked off mid-June 2016.
>
> Fingers crossed that Joyant, their products, and their employees come
> out of this unscathed.

When I heard of it and read it on Joyent site, I was somehow happy,
because Samsung is producing it's of silicon and having factories and
large user base and the clear public image.
As I remember Samsung makes it's phones with an ability to record
phonecalls, because they implement function in silicon they produce,
where many(most) other vendors doesn't implement it in fear of coming
under local regulations and hardware is reused in many other models. So
it's important to make your own silicon. That can also open the question
of ARM port, where Samsung produces it.

They got exceptionally fine server and cloud crew for them and not to
forget big community for open cloud (SDC), distro and illumos in
general, including Openindiana (extending partially to Solaris).
If they keep the business and have it growing and open and reuse it,
there's clear road ahead for Samsung, too.