[OpenIndiana-discuss] ssh to servers with recent openssh

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 14:56:14 UTC 2016

On 06/ 3/16 01:40 PM, Kim Bak wrote:
> On 03/06/16 12:28, Nikola M wrote:
>> OI hipster has openssl, wouldn't it be better just to install in-OI
>> package?
>> Or upgrade OI hipster installation?
>
> This depends on your needs, in my case, upgrades of linux based
> production systems broke some ssh based automation between our
> openindiana and linux servers. I would not recommend upgrading
> production systems to hipster, my fix is a bit hacky, but it took less
> than 5 minutes and it works flawlessly so far.

I would recommend upgrading at least some production systems to OI hipster,
because it actually gets security patches including newer illumos.
I actually think it is ready to be treated like that.

If /dev gets refreshed it would actually be some snapshot of hipster
anyway, because there is nothing else but it, and OI hipster is
currently in a very good shape, not to mention it is moving forward.

So consider aether testing with OI hipster 20160421 snapshot or testing
upgrade of some of your pre-production servers. No one says to follow
everyday's changes in hipster for production (and yes it evolves on
daily basis) , but in order to have it working for your likings in the
future, it needs to be run somewhere , so you actually can steer it to
be ready for you, in , say, next hipster snapshot after this and to be
there at how things will be moving forward.

Landing of hipster snapshot in refreshed /dev pretty much mimics what
Opensolaris releases were about before and I know people used it in
production as they were coming with updates, similar like 151a OI line did.
You can include yourself in things going on so that they are going at
your likings in the future.

I bet you won't have a problem if you were running hipster snapshot and
I know you wouldn't need to compile it yourself, and I am sure you would
figure it out in advance and have a fix, way before you had any
potential issue so solve.