[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does It Happen To All Of Us At Some Point?

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Sun Jun 19 14:23:06 UTC 2016

Jay

I don't believe that MS Windows is the issue.  We've been Windows free
for 20+ years.  The problem is that you don't have to be directly
hacked. A mailing list or website you are a member of gets hacked (or
has loose scruples).  It can even happen if one of your friends gets
their contact list stolen.  For awhile I was using temporary email
addresses for everything to track which ones come back to haunt me.
This way I can tell who (or what) originated the leak.  My analysis says
that you have to forego having an email address to escape this problem.
I doubt that if everyone was on an illumos distribution that this
situation would disappear.

My server's spam filters catch virtually all incoming junk but that does
nothing for others sending emails spoofed with my address.  It hasn't
happened in several years, but I used to see this situation. I saw
bounce messages for mail I never sent.

Gary