[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does It Happen To All Of Us At Some Point?

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 23:02:45 UTC 2016

On 06/19/16 04:24 PM, Jay F. Shachter wrote:

>> Happens to all of us at some point.  Even my wife who is paranoid about
>> signing up for anything.  This was too obvious a spam that I just
>> trashed it as soon as I saw it.
> Does it [i.e., junk mail claiming to be from me going to people to
> whom I have sent mail in the past] truly happen to all of us at some
> point?  Or does it only happen to those of us who use Microsoft
> Windows at some point?  To the best of my knowledge, it has never

Using Windows today really is scary, since it is an spyware turned
against it's users, forcefully mirroring by default habits, searches,
documents, pictures, applications lists etc.

But don't regard use of OI as a shield that can save you from yourself,
getting drunk or sending mails while you sleep or having someone stole
your password, or use some kind of un/automated social engineering. No
platform by itself can save you form stupidity surrounding us all, but
can do best to be open, transparent and most important - to allow to you
to make it better suit for you.

I delete cookies, empty browser cache sometimes, don't let Thunderbird
open content in receiving mails, use public mail address for public
things and still whatever you do if one targets you specifically, it can
do a lot of strange things.

Use the ability of internet and internet provider self-regulation. There
are usually addresses like abuse at your provider or by looking at IP at
sending mail address and ripe.net , finding the originator's provider
abuse service and forward full source of messages (Forward as
attachment) Explaining in subject you are sending complaint for Abuse
Mail, and it's type (Spam, Scam, Phishing etc).

And no, this mailing list (nor many others as I see being a member of)
are the direct cause of an mild internet manifestations you experience.