[OpenIndiana-discuss] Looking for testers: OpenIndiana Hipster vagrant box

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:50:00 UTC 2016

Hi Tim,

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 8:53 PM, Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu> wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I prepared OpenIndiana vagrant box from the latest hipster 2016.04 snapshot.
>> This is targeted mostly at users and developers, who do not run OI as their
>> main platform, but use VirtualBox for developing software or doing illumos
>> builds on OpenIndiana. This box is created from text installer. GUI variant
>> can come at the later phase and I am willing to accept contributions for
>> that. Also, this box comes only with virtualbox as I don’t have access to
>> VMWare Fusion or Vagrant vmware provider. If somebody has access to it and
>> is willing to contribute, I’d gladly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks much for doing this Adam!  I'm not exactly your target audience,
> since I actually run hipster on my $WORKstation, but considering others
> in my environment are using vagrant for other debugging and testing I've
> wanted to see about using vagrant for OI test boxes.

I am glad I could help and boost OI adoption.

> Have you spent any time getting vagrant itself working on OI?  That's
> on my todo list too.

Yes, I did and got vagrant working as separate ruby gems. The main problem with this approach is that packaging every needed gem is too much work and maintenance cost is high. Also, Vagrant webpage doesn’t recommend using gem-based deployment of Vagrant and packages from the official site as recommended. They contain every dependency and Vagrant is self-contained (and it’s much harder to break it!). I tried looking at what would take to contribute OpenIndiana support to the upstream and found out that their build system uses Puppet.

I’d appreciate if there is somebody in the community willing to do the work and extend those Puppet manifests and contribute it upstream. I’ll provide and maintain the build infrastructure behind it. With OpenIndiana as a first class citizen, the Vagrant team will do releases (if somebody wants to have an IPS package from it, we can make that happen from official release). This way, we will have regular Vagrant fixes and releases and also be sure that nothing in OI can break it.

Cheers,
Adam