[OpenIndiana-discuss] More recent modsecurity pkg

the outsider openindiana at out-side.nl
Thu May 5 08:37:16 UTC 2016

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Nikola M [mailto:minikola at gmail.com]
Verzonden: donderdag 5 mei 2016 10:02
Aan: Discussion list for OpenIndiana <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
Onderwerp: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] More recent modsecurity pkg

On 05/ 5/16 09:48 AM, the outsider wrote:
> I also have a Solaris 11.3 machine with contract.
> But what are the legal consequences if I compile anything on it?

Your code, your binaries. plus you have a contract.
Even if you don't I know they (Orcl) makes OS releases (without
support/updates) available fo your use and for development.

Openindiana can be used for production use without a contract, but it suppose you are active in tresting and making it better :)

> The costs of a contract are not as high as many people think.

I think they are 1K USD per 1 socket server?
But it's sort of off-topic on this list to advocate proprietary products support contracts.

I do not advocate anything, but it costs ~ € 750,- for any SUN hardware server per year. Dual or single processor same price. And you get hard- and software support, even on X4140 and X4150 servers.
It is a bargain if you compare it with Windows server datacentre.
The price you mention is for non-sun/oracle hardware
There are nice second hand systems available on Ebay.

Speaking of proprietary, Orcl Solaris is not as proprietary as one might think, since there are open parts of Solaris: https://solaris.java.net/ where Openindiana uses a part of it (IPS, parts of X etc
hg.openindiana.org)

OmniTI and Joyent as I know sell support for their illumos-based distros.
(And Nexenta but with pool size limitation and weren't following it lately.)