[OpenIndiana-discuss] Testing updates from /dev to /hipster-2015 and /hipster

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri May 6 20:25:04 UTC 2016

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Testing updates from /dev to...:

> On 05/ 5/16 07:56 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:
>>
>> Can you point out the email message in the archives or elsewhere that
>> the /dev-to-/hipster process is documented?
>
> It is not documented because it requires from you and everyone else reading
> this, to start testing updating from /dev to /hipster-2015 (or /hipster) and
> report problems and possible bugs.
> Do you think about this alp's aanouncement?:
> http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2015-October/003823.html

Yes, that was the email I was thinking of, that I couldn't find!  Thank
you for pointing it out.

That email (and one or two follow-ups that I remember, from people that
had tried it and had success) is the only "documentation" I was thinking
about.

For people on the list that write English as a second (or third, or ...)
language, they might not be familiar with the phrase "not for the faint
of heart".  The basic meaning is that a person would have to be brave
(or perhaps bold) to try the thing that is being described.

Before I demonstrate how bold (or perhaps foolhardy) I am by attempting
this procedure, can Alexander or Hans or someone else that's very
familiar with it review what was outlined originally and perhaps point
out any parts of the procedure that have changed in the intervening
months?

For example, the repo for hipster has changed, correct?  Should it
(in theory) be possible to go directly from /dev to the latest /hipster,
or is the chance for success higher if one first updates from /dev to
/hipster-2015, and then (if that works) from /hipster-2015 to the latest?

There are also some parts of the process that someone very familiar with
IPS should expand upon.  Mainly, I mean "Uninstall all packages from
opensolaris.org publisher".  What's the most efficient way to do that?
"pkg list -v | egrep -i opensolaris" to generate the list?  Is there
a better/recommended way?

Is it likely that I'll also need to uninstall packages from sfe or
sfe-encumbered?  I have about 60 of those installed.

> Final result at the end of the year would be to coincide together new /dev
> release

Everything I've seen up to now indicates that /dev is dead and no
additional effort will be put into any updates or maintenance on it.  Are
you saying that a hipster "snapshot" might be considered stable enough
to copy it to the /dev repository, so that it's treated as an update
for people that are still on /dev?

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)