[OpenIndiana-discuss] Testing updates from /dev to /hipster-2015 and /hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri May 6 05:00:10 UTC 2016

On 05/ 5/16 07:56 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:

> Can you point out the email message in the archives or elsewhere that
> the /dev-to-/hipster process is documented?

It is not documented because it requires from you and everyone else
reading this, to start testing updating from /dev to /hipster-2015 (or
/hipster) and report problems and possible bugs.
Do you think about this alp's aanouncement?:
http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2015-October/003823.html
There are commands like beadm create and beadm activate to manipulate
your Boot environments so your all your previous installs are there to
boot again.

We need some info on how things are doing with update for you so things
can possibly be changed and say if it can be done smoothly.
We are lucky we actually have freezed hipster-2015 and 201604 snapshot
after it to test updating from /dev.

Idea with it is that if it works, other parts needed are done, /dev can
continue updating following hipster in much more frequent way.
And after that, before making new snapshots that can end up in /dev from
hipster, after some testing is done, hipster could be moving ahead from
one snapshot to another , making it sure upgrade process is smooth - and
that also needs testing.

Running OI hipster on laptop/desktop and updating has a value of
catching up and repairing things faster, as they appear, so that when it
lands in /dev it has less trivial bugs, and bug reports are filled with
more important things to wider audience.
/dev has to accept moving forward with /hipster snapshots (if you ask me
that should happen 2 years ago) and Hipster got to  accept moving
forward based on ditching things (if any) not suitable for landing in
/dev, and moving onward from that every time, to make sure updates are
smooth. (and /dev don't diverge).

Final result at the end of the year would be to coincide together new
/dev release and Hipster snapshot into OI's /release so up to that time
there will be a willing team of people to maintain it for a supported
period.