[OpenIndiana-discuss] New box/new motherboard suggestions

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Fri May 13 14:35:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 3:53 AM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us>
> wrote:
>
> > I am at a point where I need to build a new box for $HOME, and I believe
> > that unless something else pops up, I'm looking at a SuperMicro ATX
> > motherboard + some Intel CPU's.
> >
> > Right now, I'm looking at these motherboards, but I'm open to something
> > else::
> >
> > <
> >
> https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/SUPERMICRO-X10DAL-i-motherboard-ATX-LGA2011-v3-Socket-C612/4047227.aspx?pfm=srh
> > >

> > <
> >
> https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/SUPERMICRO-X9DRL-3F-motherboard-ATX-LGA2011-Socket-C606/2783863.aspx?pfm=srh
> > >

> > <
> >
> https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/SUPERMICRO-X10DRL-i-motherboard-ATX-LGA2011-v3-Socket-C612/3550684.aspx?pfm=srh#PO
> > >

> > Planed usage:
> >
> > This will be a desktop system, not a server but I want dual CPU's and
> lots
> > of memory to have lots of zones and VM's.
> >

> > Plus some new mid range NVIDIA frame buffer and a new/higher capacity
> > power supply.
> >
> > Staying with ATX size as this is all going into one of my spare Sun Ultra
> > 20 cases.  I will probably uses those forever, or at least till I can't
> use
> > them anymore.
> >
> > Comments on the above motherboards are appreciated.  If you have a better
> > suggestion, that is appreciated.
> >

> I don't have any direct experience with those, but the one thing I notice
> is that
> the X10DAL is a workstation (or tower) motherboard; the others are server
> models.
>
> --
> -Peter Tribble
> http://www.petertribble.co.uk/ - http://ptribble.blogspot.com/

Chip set of X9DRL ( C606 )  is different from the others ( C612 )  , means
it is using older version of Xeon processors which I do not know whether
you can find such a processor or not .

The others are using Xeon v3 processors which they are not compatible with
the above board .

Another problem may be , over time , Intel ( it is very likely that will )
switch to a new series ( 14nm ) , and it may/will not be possible to find
v3 processors ( 22nm )  in case of a replacement requirement ( means you
will replace the mother board as well ) .

It seems that Intel sockets are not backward compatible .

Due to such a non-existence of previous versions of CPUs and
incompatibility with new CPUs ,  I have destroyed and throw to waste basket
7 unused new mother boards .

Some boards above do not have audio output . If you need audio , you may
have to use external audio ( for example USB ) devices , or internal audio
add on cards .

One main board do not have on board graphics which requires a graphics card
. The others have VGA graphics port . Their resolutions are not listed ,
but its is very likely that they are around 2000
x 1200 ( requires reading their manuals ) . For larger resolution screens ,
it is necessary to buy a graphics card again . Higher resolution supporting
graphics cards are requiring PCI v3 means it is necessary to study their
add on card slot versions and suitability for graphics cards .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk