[OpenIndiana-discuss] New box/new motherboard suggestions

Dmitry Kozhinov dima at desktopfay.com
Sat May 14 11:33:10 UTC 2016

> You need to consider chassis selection with respect to heat generation /
> dissipation

Indeed. Two Xeons would consume 2x120W, which means heat and fan noise.
I would choose single-processor Core i7 (2.8 GHz, just 35W) fanless
chassis design, like this: https://www.quietpc.com/sys-a470s (supporting
processors up to 4 GHz and 91W, still fanless). Or if a 14-core Xeon is
preferable, like this: https://www.quietpc.com/sys-x490 (this one with
fan though). For my own needs a compact chassis design would be ideal,
like this: https://www.quietpc.com/sys-sentinel-fanless-s .

Not sure about OpenIndiana compatibility.

Sorry for slight off-topic if dual processor design is a must for you.
Maybe someone else would find these links useful.

Dmitry.
P.S. I am not affiliated with quietpc.com, just searching for a new PC.
I am more inclined to buy a 21.5" Retina iMac lately.