[OpenIndiana-discuss] New box/new motherboard suggestions

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat May 14 14:20:57 UTC 2016

On Sat, 14 May 2016, Dmitry Kozhinov wrote:

>> You need to consider chassis selection with respect to heat generation /
>> dissipation
>
> Indeed. Two Xeons would consume 2x120W, which means heat and fan noise. I

Modern Xeon E5 CPUs produce little heat while they are idle.  I am
very happy with the audio levels of a dual-Xeon E5 system I have here
with a SuperMicro SC743TQ-1200B-SQ quiet chassis.  The chassis and
cooling system design play a larger factor in noise control than the
heat the CPUs produce.  Even a lower-power CPU can be defeated by a
noisy fan.

The main annoyance of this chassis is that it is heavier than I can
reasonably lift by myself.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn