[OpenIndiana-discuss] ASUS Z170-WS

Joe Reid jreid at vnet.net
Fri May 20 01:04:27 UTC 2016

On 5/19/2016 6:30 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:
> I also can't remember if the ASUS Z170 boards are UEFI only; based on a
> recent comment (I think from Alexander), Illumos doesn't support UEFI
> boot.  That could be a show-stopper.
If the show does start...

I don't need USB3* right now.  Nor U.2, or M.2 if they're not up.  I
would like to use the i3's HD530 to drive one of adafruit.com's 800x480
touch screen's.  An X server in portrait mode on a display that has only
1 mode and might not auto-negotiate well: so decent video support would
be nice.  But I can live without that as long as I can install and use a
serial console, even if it takes some additional simple video card.

I don't need audio (it's home heavy-NAS server), nor Thunderbolt at the
moment.  I see both network adapters, I219-LM and I handful of entries
for I210, hoping one is -AT.  I see my LSI SAS2308, but not the Marvell
88SE9215, but there are other options, especially if all 6 on-board SATA
ports work.

Any idea about the Mellanox ConnectX-2  I see ConnectX.  Not a show stopper.

so - does anyone know if OI boots on an ASUS Z170?  I found a Nov 2015
article about UFEI on an ASUS Z170-A, it looks as though CSM was enabled
and legacy options were the default.  Can anyone confirm with recent BIOS?

--
joe