[OpenIndiana-discuss] ASUS Z170-WS

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon May 23 17:16:13 UTC 2016

On Thu, 19 May 2016, Joe Reid wrote:

> On 5/19/2016 6:30 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:
>> I also can't remember if the ASUS Z170 boards are UEFI only; based on a
>> recent comment (I think from Alexander), Illumos doesn't support UEFI
>> boot.  That could be a show-stopper.
> If the show does start...
>
> I don't need USB3* right now.

You will likely be very unhappy if the BIOS does not support using
USB3 ports in a USB2 emulation mode.  Without this you can not use
keyboard/mouse or boot OI from a USB stick or USB DVD drive.

Another limitation I have heard about is that Illumos expects
DMA/mappings to be within the first 4GB of address space and some
BIOS do not arrange for this any more.

The Illumos limitations are becomming more significant over time.

I have much more confidence that Illumos will support UEFI boot in a
reasonable time-frame than it will support USB3 since someone has been
actively working on a new boot-loader.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn