[OpenIndiana-discuss] ASUS Z170-WS

jreid at vnet.net jreid at vnet.net
Mon May 23 17:47:02 UTC 2016

On Monday, May 23, 2016 12:16 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
> On Thu, 19 May 2016, Joe Reid wrote:
> > I don't need USB3* right now.
>
> You will likely be very unhappy if the BIOS does not support using
> USB3 ports in a USB2 emulation mode.  Without this you can not use
> keyboard/mouse or boot OI from a USB stick or USB DVD drive.

yes, I wouldn't buy a motherboard (in the near future) that didn't have usb2 ports on the IO Panel...I just presumed any blue USB ports wouldn't work...

> I have much more confidence that Illumos will support UEFI boot in a
> reasonable time-frame than it will support USB3 since someone has been
> actively working on a new boot-loader.

this is good to hear.

The sale I (thought I) saw, was just a typo, so I'm not going down this path anytime soon, and my new video card seems to have resolved most of the issues Sol 11.3 was presenting me anyway...I look forward to watching progress in Illumos and OI in the future.

--
joe
on the web