[OpenIndiana-discuss] struct msghdr and _XPG4_2

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed May 25 08:13:30 UTC 2016

On 05/25/2016 11:04, the outsider wrote:
> Interesting topic!
>
> A quick search brought me this:
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=66013 (but it seems you found it too)
>
> It seems you are bound to XPG4_2...
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-4415/sockets-27/index.html
>
> http://linux.die.net/man/2/recvmsg
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xns/syssocket.h.html
>
> I read:
> "The field msg_control, which has length msg_controllen, points to a buffer
> for other protocol control-related messages or miscellaneous ancillary data.
> When recvmsg() is called, msg_controllen should contain the length of the
> available buffer in msg_control; upon return from a successful call it will
> contain the length of the control message sequence."
>
> So the use of msg_control is optional if I read it correctly.

The issue here is that illumos tries to be compatible with I don't know
what. So instead of POSIX-complying OS we have an OS which has interface
compatible to I don't know what (SunOS 4? something prehistoric?), which
doesn't work for applications written in last 10 years...

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,