[OpenIndiana-discuss] struct msghdr and _XPG4_2

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Wed May 25 13:25:26 UTC 2016

On 5/25/2016 4:13 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> The issue here is that illumos tries to be compatible with I don't know
> what. So instead of POSIX-complying OS we have an OS which has interface
> compatible to I don't know what (SunOS 4? something prehistoric?), which
> doesn't work for applications written in last 10 years...

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

The standards(5) man page has the gory details.  In short, the system
can provide compliance with multiple different standards, but you have
to select which one you want, because (sadly!) the different standards
(the various versions of POSIX, SUS, XNS, and so on) are not binary
compatible with each other.

It's not terrifically hard to do -- setting -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 on a
compiler compatible with at least c99 and linking with -lxnet should set
you up with a SUSv3 environment -- but, no, it's not automagical.