[OpenIndiana-discuss] to update oi to hipster or install hipster ...

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Nov 8 00:58:29 UTC 2016

Running oi build 151_9 (not hipster)
Hardware:
 HP xw8600 workstation with 2x XEON 5460 3.00ghz cpus and 32 GB ram.

My setup is very small beer compared to many on this list.  I only
have a few zfs FS carrying data on a mirrored pair of disks that
contains rpool.  Maybe about 125 GB

I have another pair of matching mirrored disks with the main data, but
still plenty of room on that setup to send/receive the zfs fs I do
have on the rpool disk.

Then I could just leave those data discs out of the install,
incorporating them after.

I seem to remember there being some technique to do that.

Something you do prior to shutdown preceding a new install that allows
to retrieve them after...?

So with that possibility in mind would you folks say it was smarter to
install hipster from the new ISOs or smarter to try upgrading 151_9 to
hipster?

One thing that might matter is whether I am likely to have any hardware
problems with hipster, and the hardware listed at the top of this post.
There were no issues with my original install of oi a couple of yrs ago.