[OpenIndiana-discuss] Not proposing a flame war ...What are the pros in favor of hipster

Dmitry Kozhinov dima at desktopfay.com
Wed Nov 9 07:05:29 UTC 2016

> I am so far from knowledgable about the differences between the
> various Solaris branches is the only reason for asking this question.
>
> I'd like to hear a bit about the pro's of hipster as compared to
> Solaris 11.3.  Maybe a few pointer showing where the real differences
> are and what they mean.
>
> Maybe a bit about how well either one is supported, too.

I'm not much knowledgeable either, but here is how I see it:

- Price (main advantage of Hipster):
Solaris 11: Very expensive annual subscription
Hipster: Free

- Source code availability (I see no difference here, as I don't want to
build OS from source):
Solaris 11: Closed source
Hipster: Open source

- Development and support manpower (Solaris 11 wins here):
Solaris 11: Backed by a large corporation
Hipster: Developed and supported by a small group of enthusiasts

- Technical differences:
As the two operating systems go their own ways, differences will
increase in the future.