[OpenIndiana-discuss] Font rendering

Dmitry Kozhinov dima at desktopfay.com
Wed Nov 9 07:46:07 UTC 2016

If anybody interested, I have found that in FreeType (including the
latest v2.7), sub-pixel font smoothing is turned off by default - due to
possible patent issues - see https://www.freetype.org/patents.html -
scroll down to the last section of this page, and see:

"... By default, FreeType's scan-line converter returns ‘gray’ sub-pixel
images ... You can override these limitations by activating option
FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING".

Using instructions from
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/freetype2.html , I
have managed to enable sub-pixel font smoothing in Hipster, here's how:

Download freetype 2.7 source code, unpack.
In include/freetype/config/ftoption.h uncomment
FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING
and make sure that SUBPIXEL_HINTING set to 2;

# ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-static
# gmake
# gmake install

Now fonts are looking really smooth! (but not in Firefox due to some
reason).
I'm using the following settings (right-click on desktop, select
"Desktop Appearance...", click "Fonts" tab, click "Details" button, and
select Smoothing: Subpixel (LCDs), and Hinting: Slight).