[OpenIndiana-discuss] to update oi to hipster or install hipster ...

Hetrick, Joseph P joseph-hetrick at uiowa.edu
Wed Nov 9 14:32:53 UTC 2016

On 11/8/16, 5:18 PM, "Harry Putnam" <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

"Hetrick, Joseph P" <joseph-hetrick at uiowa.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I would be very aware of the issues with zfs send/recv I have posted
> here and to illumos discuss before performing either activity.  If you
> have an OI 151aN series install I would be cautious thinking you can
> zfs send/receive data between them.  We have found that newer
> hipster/Omni releases carry something new in filesystems created that
> means that we cannot send datasets to ZFSoL, older (151aN) OI releases
> without some sort of deadlock in zfs recv.

Am I reading you right in thinking you are speaking of send from new
- receive on old... as being the place a problem occurs? If its not a
typo, I'm not sure what ZFSoL means.

Correct; See posts in Illumos-Discuss, am working on capturing more data.  ZFSoL—ZFS on Linux.

In the case I'm describing I was referring to send from rpool disk and
receive on a different zpool on the same OS.  151_9 is what it was
called a couple of years ago.  And is straight oi .. no hipster.

Another poster named the technique I suggested I would use getting
between the old oi and new hipster install.  I couldn't remember it.

It is called export/import.  So before shutting down that final time
I would export my zpools, do the new install (keeping the exported
zpool disks unmounted during install) and then import them.

Do you know if there is likely to be trouble with that?... Has zpool
been updated enough during hipster dev that zpools from 151_9 will not
import correctly?

I'm guessing since people have reported successfully updating from
151_9 to hipster that there must not be enough difference between the
repective zpools to cause problems.

I believe this is something in the FS; since I’ve maintained a couple of BE’s in virtual and can go between them.  BE’s with later bits from Illumos.  If I create a pool under an older BE, then a FS; I can send it successfully.  If I boot into the BE that is current, I can send that FS to an older OI (151a8) system.  If I create a FS under current on a pool created (or under a parent dataset created under an older BE), I cannot zfs recv that filesystem on an older OI system.

Importing is not broken as near as I can tell; I can import pools between the two boot environments; and in my case since rpool datasets prior to the 10/30 hipster ISO release were created in the 4/2016 environment, those filesystems I am able to zfs send those.