[OpenIndiana-discuss] NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE GPU not supported on hipster

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 1 01:43:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 11:44:34PM +0000, ken mays via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> Use the Nvidia 304.x driver series.
>
> We used this driver with the current oi_151a by default. Latest:
> 304.132 OI_Hipster is based on Nvidia 340.x driver series (Geforce
> 8-series and higher). You can uninstall the default driver and use
> the Nvidia 304.x driver.

Yes, that worked.  One package depended on the default Nvidia driver,
so I had to remove that one too:

    # pkg uninstall x11/server/xorg/driver/xorg-video
    # pkg uninstall driver/graphics/nvidia

Removing the second one created a new BE.  It booted into a graphical
desktop, using only Xorg's VESA driver.  After I installed the
NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.132 driver from Nvidia, it booted into a
graphical desktop using the Nvidia 304.132 driver.  It recognized my
monitor as an Acer Technologies 19" (Acer P191W), set the resolution
to 1440x900, and recognized the graphics card as a GeForce 6200 LE.
I'm pleased with all of that.

The Nvidia software consisted of two Svr4 packages and one file that
was installed separately.  I'd recommend that all of these be built
into one IPS package, and that this package be mutually exclusive of
the default package.