[OpenIndiana-discuss] Faking an empty boot environment?

Hans J Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:00:31 UTC 2016

Lucreate in solaris 9 had the ability to create än emty BE where you could
then install  a flash archive of a different version of the same general os
variety.
This was most useful for getting to a more recent version of an old os that
for some complex reason failed to upgrade.

I suppose you could just create a new file system under /rpool and then zfs
send/recv the version you want into that and make that file system
bootable. And if you do all that from a live install image it should be
manageable w/o too much work.

What say you, could it be done?

I am a bit weak in "manually making a file system bootable" so if you could
say something about that I'd be most grateful.

I have a situation where I'd like to put hipster in a new boot environment
in a machine that runs oi 151a7 with major sw issues that prevent any and
all attempts at upgrading.

And it needs to stay up...

Hans J. Albertsson