[OpenIndiana-discuss] Faking an empty boot environment?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Oct 4 07:24:34 UTC 2016

3 октября 2016 г. 19:53:48 CEST, Hans J Albertsson <hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com> пишет:
>Links? I tried but couldn't find any (??) that were about creating an
>empty
>boot environment manually and populating it with something from a live
>CD
>or from a particular entire incorporation.
>
>Hans J. Albertsson
>From my Nexus 5
>
>Den 3 okt. 2016 18:29 skrev "Jim Klimov" <jimklimov at cos.ru>:
>
>> 3 октября 2016 г. 16:00:31 CEST, Hans J Albertsson <
>> hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com> пишет:
>> >Lucreate in solaris 9 had the ability to create än emty BE where you
>> >could
>> >then install  a flash archive of a different version of the same
>> >general os
>> >variety.
>> >This was most useful for getting to a more recent version of an old
>os
>> >that
>> >for some complex reason failed to upgrade.
>> >
>> >I suppose you could just create a new file system under /rpool and
>then
>> >zfs
>> >send/recv the version you want into that and make that file system
>> >bootable. And if you do all that from a live install image it should
>be
>> >manageable w/o too much work.
>> >
>> >What say you, could it be done?
>> >
>> >I am a bit weak in "manually making a file system bootable" so if
>you
>> >could
>> >say something about that I'd be most grateful.
>> >
>> >I have a situation where I'd like to put hipster in a new boot
>> >environment
>> >in a machine that runs oi 151a7 with major sw issues that prevent
>any
>> >and
>> >all attempts at upgrading.
>> >
>> >And it needs to stay up...
>> >
>> >Hans J. Albertsson
>> >From my Nexus 5
>>
>> Yes, it is a sound plan, see my articles on Advanced installation on
>the
>> OI and/or illumos wikis.
>> --
>> Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android

You have yet much to learn in the ways of google-fu ;)
I loooed for keywords from last email, "klimov advanced livecd rpool" sufficed for top 3

https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Manual+installation+of+OpenIndiana+from+LiveCD+media

These might be tangentially helpful:

https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Creating+an+rpool+manually

https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Creating+aligned+rpool+partitions

It seems OI wiki site lags at the moment... or my internet does... There should be copies in google cache, archive.org and on my github (illumos-articles repo).

Good luck in the endeavour,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android