[OpenIndiana-discuss] [HEADS UP] Python 2.6 is obsolete

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 10:48:44 UTC 2016

Hi Nikola,

> On 7 Oct 2016, at 11:58, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> What are the osnet-incorporation and userland-incorporation versions, in
>>> working BE,
>>> before trying to update? (so to try to reproduce).
>>
>> So, illumos versions (both "GOOD" and "BAD" one) from my /hipster
>> installation:
>> Release 5.11 Version illumos-5cbe397 64-bit
>> Release 5.11 Version illumos-b85b7e0 64-bit
>>
>> Current (broken pkg) versions:
>> $ pkg list -Hv | grep -E "(osnet|userland)-incorporation"
>> pkg://openindiana.org/consolidation/osnet/osnet-incorporation@0.5.11-2016.0.1.15901:20161007T010245Z
>> i--
>>
>> Old (good pkg) one (after "beadm mount -s ro oldBE /mnt"):
>> $ pkg -R /mnt list -Hv | grep -E "(osnet|userland)-incorporation"
>> pkg://openindiana.org/consolidation/osnet/osnet-incorporation@0.5.11-2016.0.1.15894:20160930T005930Z
>> i--
>>
>> Looks like I have *NO* userland-incorporation installed!
>
> I just checked with someone wating to manually update across build
> server updates,
> without having 'entire' consolidation installed..
> .. and it seems like xenol tortched all osnet-incorporation and
> userland-incorporation till 09/10/2016,
> where oldest osnet is
> osnet-incorporation at 0.5.11,5.11-2016.0.1.15898:20161002T005625Z
> <http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/info/0/consolidation%2Fosnet%2Fosnet-incorporation%400.5.11%2C5.11-2016.0.1.15898%3A20161002T005625Z>
> and oldest userland is
> userland-incorporation at 0.5.11,5.11-2016.0.1.7496:20161003T170437Z
> <http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/info/0/consolidation%2Fuserland%2Fuserland-incorporation%400.5.11%2C5.11-2016.0.1.7496%3A20161003T170437Z>

Can you be more specific what I have "torched" this time? I haven't contributed any significant changes till yesterday as I was busy with non-OI things..

> in http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/en/advanced_search.shtml .
>
> That invalidates any testing, but updating from 20160421 snapshot ISO to
> newest hipster
> or updating in between these oldest snapshots and newest hipster.
>
> I wanted to keep all 3 machines I have to oldest /hipster before 09/27
> loader landing, but it seems that won't happen.
> All I can is keep GRUB with  if I want or simply upgrade, get new loader
> that can not directly see any previous GRUB BE.
> I am forced to have new loader and don't see elegant solution of booting
> previous BEs.

You are not forced to use loader and you have a way how to keep using grub. Switching to new boot loader and booting older BEs is possible with simple howto published on OI website. Also, keep in mind that usinf very old BEs is not good, because your are reverting the system state and can lose data.

Also, if you want to have a more elegant way of switching to GRUB BEs from loader, you can send a patch. Toomas would be more than happy to review it I guess.

Adam