[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI + MATE + KMS DVD

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 09:29:07 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have tried the latest OI + MATE + KMS DVD on a system
and I said it works just fine even with VESA. This machine
has an old nVIDIA card so the driver does not work with it.
I have to install an old version of the driver. However,

the machine has an Intel processor so it should detect that
this instead. This did not happen. First I have noticed the
following:

jack at openindiana:/kernel/drv/amd64$ pwd
/kernel/drv/amd64
jack at openindiana:/kernel/drv/amd64$ ldd i915
warning: ldd: i915: is not executable
misc/drm =>	 (file not found)

There is no file /kernel/misc/drm but of course
there is file /kernel/misc/amd64/drm. Similarly,
I get

jack at openindiana:/kernel/misc/amd64$ pwd
/kernel/misc/amd64
jack at openindiana:/kernel/misc/amd64$ ldd drm
warning: ldd: drm: is not executable
misc/agpmaster =>	 (file not found)
misc/gfx_private =>	 (file not found)

I am not entirely sure nut maybe this the
reason why the intel hardware is not detected.

In addition, there are no drivers in /kernel/drv
which means that there are no 32bit drivers.

Obviously, this may explain why my 32bit netbook
failed to boot.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

A.S.