[OpenIndiana-discuss] Nobody for whom OI/Hipster Mate on i915/KMS is working fine wants to report?

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Thu Sep 8 08:16:16 UTC 2016

Hi Ben,

tnx for your interesting message.
Unfortunately the only attachment I can see is prtdiag.txt with the following content:

System Configuration: Dell Inc. Latitude E4300
BIOS Configuration: Dell Inc. A23 09/27/2011

==== Processor Sockets ====================================

Version                          Location Tag
-------------------------------- --------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo                 Microprocessor

==== Memory Device Sockets ================================

Type        Status Set Device Locator      Bank Locator
----------- ------ --- ------------------- ----------------
DDR3        in use 0   DIMM_A
DDR3        in use 0   DIMM_B

==== On-Board Devices =====================================
Intel GM45 Graphics
IDT 92HD71

==== Upgradeable Slots ====================================

ID  Status    Type             Description
--- --------- ---------------- ----------------------------

Now, it would really be helpful to also have a look at Xorg.0.log ;)
Please send that one, too.

Your Laptop should be supported by the i915 DRM/KMS backport.
I myself have an even older Laptop and it works.

And yes, no special action should normally be required.
No boot options, no xorg.conf and no nothing.

Now, what brought you to find out about vesa being used, rather than intel? Xorg.0.log?
I need that.

One of several potential possibilities could be the following: Many probably noticed that on some computers that are in fact x64 capable $ISADIR doesn't get resolved/extracted properly by grub1 and that erroneously a 32bit kernel gets booted on x64 cpu systems. This also happens on *some* modern systems, such as on the ASUS P8B75-M Lx Plus  (UEFI based mainboard made in 2013) with an Ivy Celeron G1610 2.6GHz. I never looked into that bug, and the Illumos experts apparently also never did (I saw this problem on various different systems over the years, to work-around simply edit grub1's menu and replace "$ISADIR" with "amd64"). As this is sufficient I never cared about that more than that.

*IF* we assume for a minute that this happened on your Laptop (for whatever bug in Grub1) then the booted 32bit kernel would be left alone without matching i915/drm driver, because the DVD only contain's its 64bit versions.

In that hypothetical case the Xorg userland intel_drv.so ddx would not get successfully loaded due to lack of a KMS aware underlying drm kernel module, and would then fallback to vesa_drv.so .

But to say more about that pls. provide the output of isainfo -v and Xorg.0.log.
scanpci -v cannot harm either, and ls -l /dev/dri .

best regards,
%martin bochnig, East-German from East-Berlin