[OpenIndiana-discuss] No desktop after pkg update

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:13:01 UTC 2016

On 09/13/2016 07:55 AM, Francis.D wrote:
> Hi,
> Actually I can boot on BE Openindiana-1
>   but I don't have Mate desktop environnment. Only mode console. It's seen a
> bug from Illumos
>
> thank

Hi Francis,

Yes, there is a SMF related bug  causing the desktop to fail to load.
Boot back into the previous boot environment to revert the changes and
you will have your desktop back.

Boot environments (or backup boot environments) are created each time
you run 'pkg update'. In the case of the regular boot environments
(opendindiana-1, -2, etc.) the packages are installed into the new boot
environment and you boot into it. This provides a failsafe. In case
something goes wrong, you simply boot back into your original boot
environment.

Backup boot environments are different. Sometimes when software is
installed, it is not necessary to create a new boot environment, so only
a backup is created. You do not boot into these, unless of course
something goes wrong and you need to revert your changes.

Michael