[OpenIndiana-discuss] newbie questions

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 21:43:06 UTC 2016

On 16.09.2016 23:28, Lev wrote:
> Ok. I'll go for XFCE, but I see that you have it.
We don't have packages for it. But Tribblix has. So it can be built from
source.

> I use make, cmake, gvim, and codelite. I don't like those giant IDEs like
> eclipse. I develop software for AVR MCUs and ARM in the future.
>
>> Be aware that when you are programming in Native languages(C, C++)
>> that you may need a linux to compile the binary for the embedded
>> device.
>
> Oh...

Well if you develop for ARM you need to cross-compile anyway. So you
just need to see how the Compiler you use can do that and what the
restrictions are.

> Okay. I GEUSS that you have the same driver in the kernel as FreeBSD. I have
> this to do NAT:
>
> map tun0 192.168.0.0/16 -> 0.0.0.0/32 portmap tcp/udp auto
We have been known to port software from FreeBSD due to relaxed license.
And shared ancestory.

> But might be some coincidence.
>
> Other question. Is this hipster thing is more like an unstable distribution?
> Is there any installation medium for the stable branch?

We currently are using a rolling release model. Due to developer Team
size we can not have an extensive Q+A process. A Stable branch does thus
not exist.

You can find the most up to date Isos here:
http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/

Greetings
Till