[OpenIndiana-discuss] Running Martin's Virtualbox pkg, failing to compile keymap while using vncserver

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Sep 22 15:23:40 UTC 2016

On 09/22/16 01:02 AM, Carl Brewer wrote:
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap
> Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of
> xkeyboard-config.

For this you need to have installed x11/keyboard/data-xkb & x11/keyboard/xkbcomp
- I didn't see either in your package list.  If you run
   	pkg list -a 'x11/*'
you can then see in the final column which are installed ("i--") or not ("---").

> WARNING: The first attempt to start Xvnc failed, possibly because the font
> catalog is not properly configured.  Attempting to determine an appropriate
> font path for this system and restart Xvnc using that font path ...
> Could not start Xvnc.

If you still get messages about not finding fonts, look at:
  pkg list -a 'system/font/*'
and make sure at least some are installed.

	-alan-