[OpenIndiana-discuss] SunRay on hipster; was Surprising bug (???) migrating a root pool

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Sep 23 09:47:19 UTC 2016

23 сентября 2016 г. 9:51:49 CEST, "Aurélien Larcher" <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> пишет:
>On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Мартин Бохниг via openindiana-discuss
><openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> yep, that's clear (pls. see my mail).
>>
>> But my question was, why they are defined as mutually exclusive.
>> It is in 99% of cases perhaps a valid expectation, that newer is
>better than older and that 4.9 superceedes 4.7 and that you at best
>keep one copy of gcc3.x in place (the newest one) plus the same for 4.x
>(4.9) and some day 5.x (at the moment 5.4).
>>
>> But why can's a user have both 4.9 and 4.7 plus 4.8 at once?
>>
>> That was defined like this in the manifests and I'm not yet anough
>familiar with ips to know every nitty gritty.
>> But my proposal is to change this back to a scenario where I can
>install what I want (of those packages that are available).
>>
>> In /usr/gcc there is no filesystem namespace conflict.
>> Or are the really poor symlinks to /usr/bin the the reason for this
>exclusiveness?
>>
>> IMHO not an ideal design, same remarks as with Qt4.8 versus whatever.
>
>The situation is already as you say for GCC, Qt, clang and the MPI
>implementations etc... and even with JPEG libraries.
>We always have several version installed in their own prefix and
>symlinks to the current default in /usr
>
>For GCC they even have their own copy of gmp, mpfr and mpc.
>For gcc-5 I provided *-5 symlinks in /usr/bin but they do not harm
>anyone.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Aurelien
>

>> I could look myslef, but let me simply ask: Are the symlinks to
>/usr/bin  part of the same package or of extra dedicated symlinks
>packages?
>> If not the latter, then the former should in the future be changed
>into the latter, no?
>>
>> Forgive me if I am missing anything here.
>> On my old OpenSXCE devel machine I got used to having all compilers
>installed at once (in /usr/gcc) and no silly symlinks to /usr/bin.
>>
>> It is sometimes very useful to have all compilers quickly at hand for
>an instant comparison.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> best regards,
>> %martin bochnig
>>

>>>Пятница, 23 сентября 2016, 7:23 UTC от Alexander Pyhalov
><alp at rsu.ru>:

>userland along with 4.7 and 4.8).

>repo.
>>>
>>>Hi.
>>>
>>>Currently, we provide
>>>
>>>$ pkg info -r developer/gcc*
>>>           Name: developer/gcc-3
>>>       Category: Development/C
>>>          State: Not installed
>>>      Publisher: openindiana.org
>>>        Version: 3.4.3
>>>         Branch: 2016.0.0.1
>>>Packaging Date: July 29, 2016 11:29:45 PM
>>>           Size: 89.83 MB
>>>           FMRI:
>>>pkg://openindiana.org/developer/gcc-3@3.4.3-2016.0.0.1:20160729T232945Z
>>>    Project URL:  http://gcc.gnu.org/
>>>     Source URL:
> [...]

Just for completeness: there are symlinks delivered in common paths like /usr/bin that point to a current default version picked by user and installed into a unique non-conflicting location. This is done (and changed) with IPS mediator 'actions'.

Hope this helps,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android