[OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox 5.1.6 issue reported

russell stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Sun Sep 25 19:34:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

After creating a backup BE and updating the backup to VirtualBox 5.1.6 I
investigated further why all my VBox aborted on start up.
It appears that VirtualBox defaults to enabling a USB 1.1 controller
with a VM prior to VirtualBox 5.1, in VirtualBox 5.1 this USB controller
is upgraded to a USB 2.0 controller which requires a Oracle VirtualBox
Extensions to be installed. To boot the VM just disable the USB
controller so that the extensions can be installed, after installation
the USB Controller can be re-enabled.

It is a pity that the original VB settings are not honoured when
upgrading to VirtualBox 5.1.6 so that this problem does not occur.

Regards

Russell