[OpenIndiana-discuss] exFAT fuse support needed __/__ Re[2]: ntfs-3g

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Mon Sep 26 00:09:27 UTC 2016

Hi Apostolos,

what you need is fuse exFAT support.
Forgive me I didn't finsh it when I googled for others working on it last month.

It is on my experimental gate and TODO list.
You must know: The name exFAT is misleading, unlike real FAT (FileAllocationTable12/16/32), exFAT has nothing to do with DOS-FAT.
It was introduced in Windows Vista and for XP there are 3rd party upgrades (MS closed the official downloads after XP reached EOL).

Why is it needed?

Although almost a decade old, only now it gets used more wide-spraed, because for PHOTO/VIDEO SDXC cards it is the new default for 128GB++ cards (or 64GB++ cards).

https://github.com/OpenSXCE-org/solaris-sparc-fuse

https://twitter.com/opensxce/status/771914482733969408

Temporary workaround: I can upload a new (current snapshot) Vbox5_qt4 and Vbox5_qt5 version for you which was compiled with OpenSXCE-gcc4.5.2, and which offers working USB).

It even supports xhci and in Sol11.3 guests you can mount a USB connected 2TB disk  (the VBox ehci guest driver still doesn't work, and ohci for USB1.1 takes hours for what normally would take 10 secs).

However, for Win guests you are fine.
This will enable you to access your exFAT SDXC cards in a Vbox5 win guest, as long as you run it as root user (due to the ages old Vbox device permissions bug on Solaris hosts).

This will solve this problem for the time being and you can copy your images/videos to a shared folder and from there access from the actual Hipster host.

best regards,
%martin