[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster distro contents confusion

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 07:02:27 UTC 2016

I'm looking at Hipster 2016.04 and noticing that it supposedly includes
gnome and mate1.4, apart from firefox and ffmpeg and lots of nice things.

No warnings on the Release Notes page.

Then I find another download, 2016 08 16, a test iso where the
intro/invite text talks about serious problems with having both MATE and
Gnome....

And I have a few other minor unclear points when trying to understand
the ISO snapshot vs ips server stuff.

So a few questions to clear my mind of unfounded worries:

I suppose the ISOs are "hipster in a reasonably stable state, well worth
trying in a non-critical machine, likely to work just fine, mostly"?

Are the live graphical ISOs reasonably complete, including most standard
toppings for the Hipster ice cream? Or should I expect to add further
packages after the ISO is installed, in order to have a nice basic
desktop or media server experience??

Is the Gnome vs Mate issue from the 2016-08-16 test ISO a problem in the
2016.04 ISO as well???

In the future, how do I upgrade from my then current Hipster ISO distro
to the next Hipster ISO distro?
Will the ISOs contain an upgrade option?? Or is there some consolidation
package magic to use the IPS server for that??

I intend to run Hipster in a new machine, no old data to backup.