[OpenIndiana-discuss] NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE GPU not supported on hipster

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Sep 29 15:47:38 UTC 2016

On 09/29/16 06:30 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> I just installed hipster on an older computer from an
> OI-hipster-gui-20160421.iso DVD.  It seems to be working nicely.
> Even my HP laser printer is supported and working.
>
> Something's wrong with my monitor, though.  It's called Unknown,
> with a resolution of 1024x768.  When I looked at the X server log,
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it said this:
>
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE GPU installed in this system is
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0):     supported through the NVIDIA 304.xx Legacy drivers. Please
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0):     visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0):     information.  The 340.93 NVIDIA driver will ignore this
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0):     GPU.  Continuing probe...
>
> Sure enough, the nvidia driver is version 0.340.93-2015.0.1.0 .  Is
> there a package for the older driver?  Is there some other solution?
> Should I file a bug report?

So far it's a problem. We have to update Nvidia drivers periodically,
but so far we have no sollution for several versions of driver to
coexist. Mediation will not work here as all of them deliver kernel
modules. The best thing you can do now is to download 304.xx driver on
NVidia site.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,