[OpenIndiana-discuss] NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE GPU not supported on hipster

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 30 06:35:43 UTC 2016

Gary Mills wrote:
> I just installed hipster on an older computer from an
> OI-hipster-gui-20160421.iso DVD.  It seems to be working nicely.
> Even my HP laser printer is supported and working.
>
> Something's wrong with my monitor, though.  It's called Unknown,
> with a resolution of 1024x768.  When I looked at the X server log,
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it said this:
>
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE GPU installed in this system is
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0):     supported through the NVIDIA 304.xx Legacy drivers. Please
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0):     visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0):     information.  The 340.93 NVIDIA driver will ignore this
>   (WW) NVIDIA(0):     GPU.  Continuing probe...
>
> Sure enough, the nvidia driver is version 0.340.93-2015.0.1.0 .  Is
> there a package for the older driver?  Is there some other solution?
> Should I file a bug report?

For WIW, I have a "GeForce 6150 LE" which leads to the same
behavior on Hipster. I get tolerable results from the driver
NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.125.run available for Solaris on Nvidia
website. However I sometimes get bad colors, In particular
with Firefox.

The more recent NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.131.run crashes with
Hipster 2016.