[OpenIndiana-discuss] nonblocking i/o problem

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 07:36:53 UTC 2017

On 04/ 5/17 10:16 AM, Jeff Woolsey wrote:
> Based on an assurance
> [https://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/illumos+FAQs, Is illumos
> compatible with Solaris/OpenSolaris?] that OI-hipster was upward
> binary-compatible with S10 and that any discrepancies were to be
> reported, and some S10 exploits becoming more widely known, I upgraded
> from Solaris S10XU8 to OI-hipster-2016.10.   There was some teething,
> and one thing I still haven't resolved is an S10 binary that works right
> in S10 and wrong in OI regarding non-blocking reads of stdin.  It
> happens to be my main project, of course...

You can first state What Openindiana are you using,
since reporting bugs or RFEs is best done installing/updating to
Openinidiana hipster rolling-release and updating to newest hipster,
that includes newest illumos and oi-userland.
Then you can figure what osnet-incorporation and userland-incorporation
is installed (pkg list | grep) so that eventually bug can be reproduced
if there is one.

That notice on illumos FAQ is a bit old, and you can post a bug report
to illumos itself to clarify it.
Probably that goes for illumos as far as illumos part is concerned, but
not for Openindiana.

What is known to work is that you can count on Solaris 10 compatibility
only if you run S10 Branded Zone (Solaris Zones), and as I know BZ for
S10 is left at the state of S10 at the time when Opensolaris is forked
to not-source-releasing. (u8 I think but don't hold my word).

It would be actually needed and interesting to try out S10 branded Zone
in newest Openindiana /hipster and to document it so to know how and
does it works today.
Openindiana that exists in old "/dev" publisher, used to be compiled
with SunStudio compiler, and since availability of proprietary compiler
good enough for both illumos and userland compilation is problematic,
everything moved afterwards to GNU compiler.
So another possible target for creating Branded Zone for compatibility
is actually "old /dev" Openindiana releases that could also provide some
level of compatibility with older (Open)Solaris binaries. (beside
obvious ways of running older OSes in VirtualBox or under Intel EPT/KVM)

So you can try using S10 Branded Zone under OI/ipster
(system/zones/brand/s10), and crating new BZ for OI/old dev,
would be happy to try to document it if it works right.
Otherwise, if you think it is only illumos-related, after reproducing on
newest illumos coming throught OI /hipster , report it to illumos.