[OpenIndiana-discuss] Older vbox (5.0.28) failure - maybe something simple

Will Brokenbourgh will.brokenbourgh2877 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 15:57:32 UTC 2017

On 04/14/17 08:23, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Wanting to get vms running that I brought over when making the move to
> hipster from 151_9... I found first that newer vbox versions are a
> no-go for now.
>
> So, went back to 5.0.28 and I can see it wants to install .. it went
> like this (large chunks elided):
>
> root # pkgadd -d ./VirtualBox-5.0.28-SunOS-amd64-r111378.pkg
>
> The following packages are available:
>    1  SUNWvbox     Oracle VM VirtualBox
>                    (i386) 5.0.28,REV=2016.10.18.20.13.111378
>    [...]
>
>    Current administration requires that a unique instance of the
>    <SUNWvbox> package be created.  However, the maximum number of
>    instances of the package which may be supported at one time on the
>    same system has already been met.
>
>    No changes were made to the system.
>

> root # pkgrm SUNWvbox
>
>    The following package is currently installed:
>       SUNWvbox  Oracle VM VirtualBox
>               (i386) 5.1.6,REV=2016.09.19.10.01.110634
>
>    [...]
>
>   ## Updating system information.
>
>    Removal of <SUNWvbox> was successful.
>    ## Updating system information.
>
>    Removal of <SUNWvbox> was successful.
>

> So, I did have a Vbox pkg failure with an earlier attempted install of
> vbox version 5.1.16 and apparently it was seen as installed.
>
> So, as above I ran pkgrm and was told the pkg was successfully
> removed.
>
> Then again ran:
>
> pkgadd -d ./VirtualBox-5.0.28-SunOS-amd64-r111378.pkg
>
>    The following packages are available:
>      1  SUNWvbox     Oracle VM VirtualBox
>                    (i386) 5.0.28,REV=2016.10.18.20.13.111378
>    [...]
>
>    /opt/VirtualBox/vboxwebsrv <linked pathname>
>    /opt/VirtualBox/webtest <linked pathname>
>    [ verifying class <manifest> ]
>    ## Executing postinstall script.
>
>    Checking for older bits...
>    ## Failed to parse the Solaris kernel major version.
>    ## ERROR!! Failed to remove older/partially installed bits.
>    pkgadd: ERROR: postinstall script did not complete successfully
>
> I wondered if this might be something fairly easy to fix, but don't
> have much of a clue as to where to start.

Hi Harry,

I had the same problem.  I'm not in OI at the moment, but I think it's
in /var/pkg or similar where there's a bunch of left-over stuff that
doesn't get deleted properly and has to be deleted manually. Do a find
for vbox in /var and that will probably put you in the right direction.
I have had similar issues with VirtualBox and I installed a special
Hipster version that was given to me.  I cannot find the link now, but
if necessary, I can post it somewhere for you.  It also required boost
and boost/g++ from the SFE repo.

Thanks,

Will Brokenbourgh

Sent from my FreeBSD desktop