[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS on Openindiana vs ZFS on oracle linux

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Fri Apr 21 21:16:23 UTC 2017

Am 21.04.17 um 22:10 schrieb jason matthews:

> On 4/21/17 11:36 AM, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
>> I can't tell. It's a specialized distribution and I am currently
>> evaluating it because
>> SmartOS does not work well on my HP ProLiant DL360 G7.
>> But I am just recently started playing with it so I cannot say much
>> about internal details yet.
>> I would prefer to use SmartOS but I have been told on IRC that it is
>> for data center and thus
>> power consumption is irrelevant.
>
> You are using a computer that sounds like a jet engine and you are
> worried about power consumption? :)
Since Gen6 the HP ProLiant servers are quiet. I only hear a soft wisper
from it as long as there is no high load on it.
Even under high load it's far form sounding like a jet engine. Have a
look at https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/dbbtu
That gives some valuable information ;-)

> It is sort of a funny statement all around. Data centers spend lots of
> money on power and air conditioning where one begets the other. so I
> am not sure why one wouldnt care about power. I am curious, what power
> related thing is making your G7 "not work well"?
Running the machine (2*L5630, 32GB RAM, 1 300GB SAS drive) idles around
100W under EXSi. Fans are at 23%.
Proxmox has a similar power consumption with fans at 20%.
SmartOS (as of end of March) idles at around 130W with fans at 34%. The
sound at this speed is still bearable but not whisper quiet like on Proxmox.

Regards