[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS on Openindiana vs ZFS on oracle linux

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Apr 27 19:24:24 UTC 2017

David Johnson <dave at loud-mouth.net> writes:

> Does anyone have any editorial comments on how well ZFS is handled on
> Openindiana
> vs. Oracle Linux? It looks like these may be my only two choices if I
> want to
> have an OS that has native ZFS support, and allow me to get updated
> security patches.

Two points:

1) You might be hard pressed to find a busy open group like this to
   help you with oracle linux... but maybe I'm just thinking of Oracle
   solaris.

2) You will find some of the best help possible on this group if you
   should chose openindiana.  There is a high number of experts here
   that do willingly share there expertise.

Speaking aa a semi no-nothing on the technical and even practicle
aspects of oi, I have been able to run oi for several years now
primarily due to the help I have received here.

Mind you that mine is strictly a homeboy usage nothing commercial or
even terribly important.  Just a home server to store certain of my
data on like 300 GB of images collected over a number of years of
amatuer photography.