[OpenIndiana-discuss] Booting problem

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 06:20:54 UTC 2017

On 07/18/17 03:40 PM, brogyi wrote:
> I found 2 menu.lst files. One is can be seen at start up. That is in
> /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst.
>
> Other is in /rpool/boot/menu.lst. This list can be seen after I issued
> "beadm list". Of course are different from each other.
>
> Which command or command's do I issue if I like to see the right
> system version at start up?
>
> Maybe I have to use the "bootadm". Who used this command? Who have any
> experiences with it? Thanks.
>
> Best regards
>

> On 2017-07-17 21:12, Brogyányi József wrote:
>> Hi
>> One of update mixed up my system. It's mean the system stuck one
>> version.
>> When I tried to update it everything is good until I reboot the
>> system. It's not starting itself.
>> The boot menu shows lot version under the working system and I can
>> not see any new updated version. ( I can not see "47" or "48" version.)
>>
>> brogyi at hipster:/home/brogyi$ beadm list
>> BE             Active Mountpoint Space Policy Created
>> openindiana-44 N      /          47.7M static 2017-02-21 22:51
>> openindiana-47 -      -          5.15G static 2017-07-17 15:42
>> openindiana-48 R      -          22.4G static 2017-07-17 17:20
>>
>> And here I can not see any version under "44". The "44" is the
>> working or stucked version.
>> I don't like to reinstall it. Can you help to solve this issue?

Hello, beside, posting answer below quotes is nice.. :) , and
Openindiana-XY BE name is of course just incremental update to BE (Boot
Environment) name, as we all already know,

To get exact system state and to figure how old/recent your BE's are,
you can post your osnet-incorporation and userland-incorporation
versions from working BE. (pkg list | grep osnet-incorporation)
For non active BE it is first mounted with "beadm mount be_name /mnt"
and pkg list works the same , with stating "pkg -R /mnt list | grep
osnet-incorporation" , and "pkg unmount be_name" afterwards.

It could be that you are still using GRUB boot loader (and GRUB have a
limited number of BEs it can list and support, around 24-28, varying),
so having too many Boot environments for GRUB to handle could be the
problem. (And make system unbootable if too many). So you could for
starters, try deleting older BEs with beadm destroy, that you don't need
anymore.

If wanting to keep and have many BEs and to avoid problems with their
number, you can migrate and install 'illumos loader' that solved that
'many BEs' problem.
But once you are booting with the illumos loader instead of GRUB, older
BE's not having loader installed in them, could not boot anymore.
One solution could be to, after installing loader and booting into
updated BE,
to also install illumos loader also on previous BEs (pkg -R /mnt install
loader) to be able to boot older BEs.

So, 'installboot -Mf' for loader and/or read announcements and illumos
loader update troubleshooting:
https://www.openindiana.org/2016/09/28/loader-integration/
https://www.openindiana.org/2017/02/27/issues-with-loader-leading-to-unbootable-systems/