[OpenIndiana-discuss] Reboot failed after Hipster upgrade

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 8 20:53:11 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 09:21:13AM +0300, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 08/07/17 11:48 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> >One of my systems has an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard with an AMD
> >Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+.  It has an NVIDIA GPU
> >GeForce 6200 LE video card, for which I installed the
> >NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.132.run product.  It's running a Hipster
> >version from 2016-09-30.
[...]
> >What can I do to enable the upgrade and reboot to succeed?
>
> First of all, remove console=graphics and everything related to
> splash screen from grub menu entry and look what happens on console.

I haven't tried that yet, but I did try something else that seemed
to behave the same way: I booted the OI-hipster-gui-20170502 DVD on
the same hardware.

I first got the loader screen.  It booted with the default configuration.
These messages appeared on the screen:

    SunOS Release 5.11 Version illumos-... 64-bit
    Copyright (c) 1983, ...
    WARNING: /pci at 0,0/pci1043,81c0 at b,1 (ehci0): No SOF interrupts have been received, this USB EHCI hostcontroller is unusable
    WARNING: /pci at 0,0/pci1043,81c0 at b (ohci0): No SOF interrupts have been received, this USB OHCI hostcontroller is unusable
    WARNING: /pci at 0,0/pci1043,81c0 at b (ohci0): No SOF interrupts have been received, this USB OHCI hostcontroller is unusable
    WARNING: /pci at 0,0/pci1043,81c0 at b,1 (ehci0): No SOF interrupts have been received, this USB EHCI hostcontroller is unusable
    Hostname: openindiana
    Remounting root read/write
    Probing for device nodes ...

I assume those EHCI and OCHI messages were for my keyboard and mouse.
In any case, the keyboard was dead at that point.  After a very long
pause, the keyboard types appeared on the screen, along with this
message:

    To select the keyboard layout, enter a number [default 47]:_

Of course, I couldn't enter anything on the keyboard.  I had to hold
down the power button to recover.

I had legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS, but when I disabled it
and tried the boot again, I got exactly the same behavior.