[OpenIndiana-discuss] Timeslider apparently intermitten; What to do about reluctant timeslider

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Aug 18 13:53:47 UTC 2017

I posted about this problem on Aug 5

  Newsgroups: gmane.os.openindiana.general
  From: Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>
  Subject: Time-slider has stopped working
  To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
  Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2017 11:07:12 -0400 (1 week, 5 days, 22 hours ago)

But did not receive any suggestions for troubleshooting.

I've been checking since then and have discovered it apparently works
intermittently. but only a few snapshots are taken.

I'm pretty sure that was following a reboot and time-slider worked for
a short time.  The reboot was not related to timeslider investigation
and I didn't think to immediately check how timeslider was performing.

But did notice the Timeslider icon in upper right of Mate desktop quit
flashing, but then started up again after a .5 hr or so.

But then in some locations I see a regular (the expected) progression
of snaps.

I'd really really like to get it working... after all it is one of the
big plus's for running OI/hipster.

Checking time-slider log I see dozens of lines like these, but for
some unfathomable reason the lines are not dated so not able to
pinpoint when this happens:

Check time-slider log I see dozens of lines like these, but for some
unfathomable reason the lines the log lines are not dated so not able
to pinpoint when this occurs, other than from the date in snapshot
filename.

But still cannot tell what is really going on.

I see there are regular consecutive time-slider created logs at
/.zfs/snapshot/*   But not in many other locations... whereas
time-slider is configured for `ALL'

How can I trouble shoot this?

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
Example logs /var/svc/log/application-time-slider:default.log

cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana-5 at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2 at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana-8 at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana-10 at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana-6 at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana-1 at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana-9 at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana-3 at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot 'rpool/ROOT/openindiana-4 at zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2017-08-18-06h22': dataset already exists