[OpenIndiana-discuss] sendmail single user host sending to internet thru Smarthost: examples

Hugh McIntyre lists at mcintyreweb.com
Wed Aug 23 16:57:28 UTC 2017

Harry,

It looks like you've asked about sendmail several times before.  Did you
previously have a working config, but changing to Comcast broke things?
Or changing to a new domain name for email, etc.?

In terms of sendmail, I personally switched to postfix a few years ago
so I can't provide a working config.  Jonathan's pointer below is
probably good although I used to use a much smaller list of settings.

But I would make two comments:

1. Comcast blocks outgoing connections to port 25 to control spam, so if
you are using SMART_HOST you will also need to use one of the submission
ports, not port 25.  The port numbers are 465 if using SSL, or 587 if
not. See
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-port-25-no-longer-supported/.
  I'm not sure how to configure this in sendmail, but see the
RELAY_MAILER/RELAY_MAILER_ARGS comment below.

2. When submitting mail to the smart_host, your copy of sendmail will
need to authenticate.  Generally this will be with the same
username/password you would use to configure sending mail in
Thunderbird, enabled via SASL (although sendmail may have a different
way of enabling this).  It's also possible to use client certificates if
you control the remote mail server -  John Beck had an old blog post
describing how to enable this for sendmail - but most commercial
providers expect username/password so you need to enable this.

I know how to do this for postfix, but not sendmail any more.  Partly
because the Solaris sendmail historically did not come with SASL
support, so this needed to be compiled in which was a PITA.  However you
could try searching google for "sendmail smart_host submission port" --
it looks like the SMART_HOST line may need to change to:

define(`SMART_HOST',`relay.example.com`)dnl
define(`RELAY_MAILER',`esmtp')dnl
define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')dnl

See
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/132711/using-port-587-with-sendmail
or https://access.redhat.com/solutions/60803 (this also discusses
username/password setup), or other search results.

Hugh.