[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster performance issue

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 22:40:52 UTC 2017

On 08/24/17 08:46 PM, russell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday after updating to the lastest Hipster release I was playing
> a mkv file using VLC starting from the cli, VLC reported that the it
> was using the hard acceleration (Nvidia driver
> NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-384.59.run). When playing the video from the
> beginning it played well, however when I used the VLC slider bar to
> advance through the video, system performance slow, the GUI was
> unresponsive. In the cli, a message reporting unable to stop dma. The
> only way to recover was to press the power switch until the system
> powered off.
>
> I repeated the same test and even when I able to kill VLC the
> performance issue remained and I had to power cycle to recover.
Hello,
See if you have enough swap allocated. Increase them to at least 2 times
the size of RAM.
(swap -l , swap -d , swap -a ; zfs create -V 16G /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap)
Yes, it sounds so antiquate but I witnessed that not having enough swap
can hinder normal functioning of the system and if applications are run
outside of the zones without constrained resources , they can hog the
whole system down. (Solaris/illumos does not over-commit RAM)

Then again, if your system wasn't behaving like that, you can try report
your hardware, last osnet-incorporation and usenet-incorporation
versions , where you can not see the bug happening and what
BE/osnet/userland were first when it started to happen and report a bug
report on bugs.openindiana.org .

If it just happened recently, you can quickly report osnet and userland
versions from BE where it behaved right the last time (beadm mount
bename /mnt ; pkg -R /mnt info) and your surrent osnet- and userland
where it does not behave right.

If you haven't been updating for some time, to test, one can go through
various osnet-incorporation and userland incorporation versions, by
creating new BE with beadm create, select into it with beadm activate,
reboot, pkg uninstall 'entire' incorporation, and then, by looking at
the dates at: http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/ with Advanced search
and install corresponding osnet and userland (and install-incorporation
if needed) to see when was the first time bug appears and add that info
in a bug report.