[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Hipster on Xserve 2008

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 10:01:02 UTC 2017

On 08/11/17 01:33 AM, Rasaki Temidire wrote:
> One more question.  Has anyone ever set up a macOS kvm under Hipster?  Would be great to have that set up and run Xcode in it.

As I know, OSX/MacOS were able to run virtually on some very old
VirtualBox and only then it required running on Apple hardware, per
licensing requirements and the need to "check" if Apple hardware
recognition chips are available.
Later, support for it was removed from VirtualBox mainline.

Apple hardware is nothing but ordinary PC's and there many tutorials to
run it on PCs, but that violates software license that is (still)
exclusive on Apple hardware.
Seems like Apple is chasing away legally anyone having MacOS virtual
machine support..
(https://www.infoworld.com/article/2621458/vdi/vmware-yanks-mac-os-x-client-virtualization--feature-.html)

With Apple hardware and OS I would feel trapped and imprisoned and I
don't want that - hence Openindiana. :)