[OpenIndiana-discuss] HDMI and sound

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Mon Aug 28 15:59:10 UTC 2017

On 28/08/2017 17:51, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 28/08/2017 17:30, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>>> Professionally speaking, don't use the Nvidia audio processor for any serious
>>> work.Either use a good audio >processor on the motherboard or a dedicated
>>> sound card/device (highly preferred).>I'm speaking mainly on the Nvidia audio
>>> processors integrated on their graphic cards. You can use it
>>> for>Blu-Ray/DVD/Youtube/VLC playback for basic use.
>> Thank you very much for this really important hint. As I said in my first
>> message I wanted to be able toreduce the number of cables on my desk. But now
>> I have discovered a more pragmatic reason: All new videocards do not have VGA
>> ports so most people have to use an HDMI cable. Now suppose I do not want to
>> usethe nVidia audio processor, how can I still use the onboard audio
>> processor? In my case, there is no sound when I use an HDMI cable. In
>> different words, HDMI means no sound. Question: Has anybody successfully
>> usedHDMI and the onboard audio? Maybe my hardware is completely problematic.
>>

> Just tried with my setup (oi151a9 with NVidia Quadro 2000 HDMI
> to DELL U3017 Monitor, audio output to boxen) : The device is there
> (/dev/sound/1), 'audioplay -v 100 -d /dev/sound/1
> /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/goksound2.wav' works, but : absolute SILENCE .
>
> No twiddling with the (only one) volume control for that device and
> Monitor controls helps.
>
> So I would conclude that this is currently not properly implemented.
> Or are there missing options for a proper Xorg.conf that must be
> enabled ?

It also has a problem controlling the device:

Working onboard:

audioctl show-control -d /dev/sound/audiohd:0ctl
CONTROL                  VALUE
volume                   75
front                    75:75
headphones               75:75
speaker                  75:75
mic                      50:50
line-in                  50:50
beep                     75
monitor-gain             100:100
record-source            mic

Non-working HDMI:

audioctl show-control -d /dev/sound/audiohd:1ctl
CONTROL                  VALUE
volume                   100
Bad enum index 10 for control 'record-source'

--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php