[OpenIndiana-discuss] cloning an OI system to VDMK

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 06:09:30 UTC 2017

On 07/27/17 05:05 PM, Daniel Kjar wrote:
> My old hardware is dying and I want to move my system to a virtualized
> environment.  I have been digging for

Do fresh install on new hardware or in that VM and then do create new BE
(beadm), right after , destroy it's datasets (under ROOT) and then zfs
send/zfs receive your working dataset zfs snapshot to a new machine. It
should work almost all the time. Maybe you would need to install illumso
loader in target BE after 'zfs receive'.
In doubt, install same OI version you have on source machine you migrate
from.

Regarding ZFS and it's benefits, I also think it is best used on real
hardware, to exactly protect you from hardware problems, but also you
can use zfs snapshots to make timed remote replications and backup,
wherever you run it.

Also if you use illumos/OI on hardware and use virtualization under
illumos as the main system (kvm, kvm in zones, VirtualBox), you can use
zfs volumes for VMs and make shapshots off them outside of VMs. Hardly
there is the better and more easy way then make snapshots of zfs
volumes. (zfs create -V )