[OpenIndiana-discuss] Multiple video cards and X11

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 19:42:30 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 3:54 AM, Bob Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu> wrote:

> I have a Dell T605 with the motherboard ATI-ES1000 and an Nvidia nv-290
> PCI-e card. Under windows and Linux I can run the system off the Nvidia
> card, by shutting the system off, plugging the monitor into the Nvidia card
> and booting. All is well. I do the same thing with the OpenIndiana Hipster
> and the system boots, gets to the point where it starts X11 and then
> reboots. Nothing other than the usual boot messages appear in
> /var/adm/messages and nothing in the xsession logs. Any ideas?

I think I remember that we have a patch to prioritize Nvidia cards
regardless of other card present on the system.
Possibly the logic in ogl-select and in the Xorg module selection can be
improved.

Pointers:

1) Try to figure out which card is selected by ogl-select as the main card:
look if libGL.so.1 points to mesa or nvidia

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/x11/ogl-select/files/ogl-select

2) Review the logic in hw/xfree86/common/xf86Config.c

Don't you get any output at all in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

In any case, I do have updated Xorg drivers for ATI in the xorg-testing
repository:

http://pkg.openindiana.org/xorg-testing/

and even more recent in my local repo... If you have time you could try to
create a new BE and update to Xorg 1.18.4 in this repo.

I may be able to reproduce similar setup by adding an ATI in my workstation
but I may take some time.

Kind regards

Aurélien

> Cheers