[OpenIndiana-discuss] Pending Desktop features for 2017.04 need volunteers

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 14:10:49 UTC 2017

> Why should I volunteer again? Even if OI is run by better people than
> Illumos. You OI "friends" get along quite a bit too well with the former,
> after all that happened last year.
>
> As example:  https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/master/usr/src/
> uts/i86pc/io/gfx_private/gfxp_vm.c
>
> contains my ideas which now in retrospect may look trivial, but not my
> name.
> Hence I must say it was *stolen* from me in the most shameful manner (most
> will know what I am referring to).
> But if they had been so cheap, why was I the only one to get it working
> for years?
> Note: This file is a single example simply because I don't want to waste
> more of my time on this "community".

I am not sure what to answer: on the one hand you are right that you did
the initial job and on the other hand Gordon deliberately started from
scratch to avoid such discussion.
Also your driver and Gordon's tree behave differently on my hardware: yours
show some glitches but is able to recover from GPU hang, while Gordon's has
perfect rendering but may hang completely.
This difference tells that calling the code simply *stolen* is too much of
a simplification.

Otherwise, obviously whenever you deserve credit, you should get credit.

> Other contributors spread their names only for deleting 1 line and adding
> a TAB to a comment somewhere.
>
> wtf
> As long as such "developments" are being permitted by the "community",
> less real development will take place.

Well when it comes to the OI community, I would not consider it as an
organic thing with power to make decision.
Maybe I just speak just for myself, but I have already a hard time catching
up with daily stuff so I do not have time/energy for discussion in general:
just want to code, and review/push contributions.

We had a stream of discussion about Solaris on this mailing-list and other
long threads about bullshit nitpicking while fixing code and packaging in
OI could use such energy: surely there is room for real development.

> But code was not only stolen from me, but in similar ways from a known big
> Top500.
> Have a nice day and keep searching for "volunteers".

I still hope that it will happen. Just trying to get things moving forward,
but may get tired at some point. ;)

Kind regards

Aurélien

> >Среда,  8 февраля 2017, 21:26 +01:00 от Aurélien Larcher <
> aurelien.larcher at gmail.com>:
> >

> >> -Gstreamer1.0 < https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/2384 >
> >>  Adding the new Gstreamer libraries seemed easy until I ran into a
> >> glib-introspection overflow for the 32bit build: Alexander could not
> >> reproduce it, the corresponding report was never fixed for Arch Linux
> and
> >> the PR stalled.
> >>

> >The issue has been fixed and Gstreamer 1.10.3 is now merged.
> >

> >> - Bump Pulseaudio to 9.0
> >> < https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/2370 >
> >>  I tried to bump Pulseaudio to 9.0 but encountered issues on my machine.
> >>  Since solaris-userland bump it to 9.0 some weeks ago it may be easier
> >> look at their changeset.
> >>

> >Apostolos volunteered to update Pulseaudio. Many thanks to him :)
> >

> >> - Migrate libjpeg dependencies to libjpeg-turbo:
> >>  https://www.illumos.org/issues/7391
> >>   This optimized implementation may be x3-x6 faster, most distributions
> >> have migrated to it.
> >>

> >Any volunteer?

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings